Award Winning Apple Pie

Wednesday, November 5, 2008


This is one of my most requested recipes and a contributing reason as to why I started this website.  The apple filling is the perfect balance between tart and sweet, yet is as simple as can be to make.   Combined with this state-fair winning crust, this pie simply can't be beat!   I've won or almost won many a bake-off  with this recipe and  there are people who literally start talking about this pie with me before they even greet me.  :)
Click here for printable recipe

 
Make sure you make it with this crust! 

****************************************************************
No Fail Apple Pie--seriously this is SO easy!
1 ½ cups sugar, divided
¼ cup flour
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
salt
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. ginger
6-7 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped (no substitutions--you want tart, firm apples and Granny Smith are the best) **SEE NOTE BELOW ABOUT CHOPPING.
1 Tbs. butter

Start with the pie crust rolled out into a 9” pie pan. Combine ½ cup sugar, ¼ cup flour, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl and sprinkle over the uncooked bottom crust (this step seems weird to a lot of people, but I promise it turns out fine. I forgot to take a picture, but basically you'll just pour the flour, sugar, and salt mixture into the empty pie crust and stir it lightly with your fingers to evenly distribute it).

**Try to cut the apples as evenly as possible, so they cook uniformly. **
Then fill crust with half of the apples. Sprinkle on another ½ cup sugar, then add the rest of the apples so they mound an inch and half or so over the edge.
Combine the remaining sugar (½ cup), pinch of salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in small bowl. Pour evenly over the top of the apples. Cut butter up into small clumps and place evenly over the top of the apples and spices.
Roll out top crust and place over pie (using crust directions from above). Brush extra flour away lightly and cut an inch from the edge, pinch top and bottom layers together, then tuck and form as desired,(I use the extra dough to cut out seasonal shapes with cookie cutters to adorn the crust).

Brush lightly with milk.
Sprinkle evenly with approximately 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
Make sure to poke a few holes in the top to allow steam to escape. These can be artistically place to enhance the beauty of the pie.

Bake at 425° for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375° and bake for an additional 45 minutes. Watch the pie carefully the last 20 minutes or so, being ready to place some foil over edges or top if they are browning too quickly. The filling will bubble out slightly when the pie is done...be patient!

It's best if you let it cool completely, then reheat before serving. Serve warm with cool whip or vanilla ice cream. Good luck and feel free to email me with any specific questions.

Enjoy!

*****************************************************************

3 comments:

angela November 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

I had to come searching for this recipe today! I have made it the last few years and for some reason couldn't find my copy in my mess of a recipe collection. Thanks for saving our Thanksgiving dessert!

Clarinda November 9, 2011 at 6:05 PM  

Thanks for the great recipes! I made the pie crust, but I only needed it for a single crust pie. My recipe called for a pre-baked pie shell, so I baked it for 8 min at 400°F. Is that what you would have done? I did get compliments on the crust. :)

Lara November 18, 2011 at 12:07 PM  

Clarinda, For a prebaked single crust I would poke a few holes with a fork in the bottom, line it with foil and some dried beans. Then I would bake it at 425 for about 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. (Make sure the oven is already hot, when you place the crust in, or the crust will lose its shape as it heats up. )

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP