Fudgy Brownies

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Karey here - Lara's sister-in-law. I tried out a new brownie recipe today, and they turned out to be so tasty! My mouth thanked me, my husband thanked me, but my jeans definitely did not thank me. I'm sure you will love these, too!

When I looked at the recipe tonight, I discovered that I did things all wrong. But it turned out, oh so right, so I'm going to give you my version!

4 squares (4 oz.) Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter, softened
3 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1 c. chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 (325 for a glass pan). Line 9x13 pan with foil, extending over the edges to form handles. Spray foil with nonstick spray.

Microwave chocolate in large microwavable bowl on High for two minutes or until chocolate is smooth when stirred. Stir sugar into melted chocolate. Don't use a mixer, or you will end up with sugary chocolate all over your kitchen. Not that I would know that....

Mix in eggs and butter. You can use a mixer for this step to get it blended really well. Stir in flour and nuts or chocolate chips. Or both, if it strikes your fancy. When it's well blended, spread in prepared pan.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick insterted into center comes out with fudgy crumbs. Do not overbake. Cool in pan. Lift out of pan using foil and place on cutting board. Cut into squares.

Now if you want to get all technical and follow the actual recipe, do this stuff instead:

Melt the butter with the chocolate in the microwave. Then stir in the sugar. Then when you add the eggs, go ahead and put in 1 tsp. of vanilla. I just forgot.

Let me know how it turns out!

**Update! My mom made these according to the original recipe (melting the butter with the chocolate), and they turned out greasy. When I made them and just mixed in room temperature butter, they were not greasy at all. The fat was there, all right, but you couldn't tell! If you want a lower fat version, try cutting the butter by 1/3 or 1/2 (so 1/2 cup or 6 tbsp.) and melting it with the chocolate.

2 comments:

Donna-FFW February 5, 2009 at 6:27 AM  

Hi- Love all things brownies. These sound terrifically fudgy!! Love your jeans comment, I so know what you mean. Bless the Lord for stratchable material..

The Mrs. February 6, 2009 at 5:54 PM  

I saw these and started craving them, so I made them today! I have to say, I think I under-baked them a bit and need to alter the recipe a bit for high altitude but they were still delicious! Thank goodness for maternity pants because my jeans didn't care!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP