Key Lime Pie

Thursday, February 19, 2009

I love everything citrus! If it has lemons, limes, oranges, or even grapefruit I'm a fan. Key lime pie is something I wasn't introduced to until a couple of years ago, but once I had my first taste I was hooked. I love that it's an elegant and classic dessert, yet it's so dang easy to make. Of course, I like to just let people be impressed and forget to mention how easy it was.









The ingredients:  











CRUST:
(I usually just buy a premade crust)

5 tablespoons melted butter

1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

FILLING:

1/3 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup Nellie and Joe's real key lime juice (I tried squeezing real Key Limes one time and it was definitely NOT worth the trouble)

3 egg yolks

1 can sweetened condensed milk

Sweetened whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix graham cracker crumbs into butter. Add sugar and mix well. Spray cooking spray onto a springform pan and pat crust into bottom and sides. Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, mix together key lime juice, brown sugar, egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk until incorporated. Do not beat or whip air into mixture. Pour over crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Run a knife around top edge of pie to loosen and cool completely in springform pan on a rack. Chill in refrigerator 1 hour. Remove side of pan and transfer cake to a plate. Serve chilled or at room temperature with whipped cream.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Spryte February 19, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

OMG! I had no idea it was that easy! I LOVE key lime pie!

That looks delish!

Donna-FFW February 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

This version looks so incredibly easy and tasty. I will have to try this one as my husband adores lime pies!!

Mirien February 23, 2009 at 3:18 AM  

Now you've blown my cover, as well! ;) I've been making this for years from the recipe on the Nellie and Joe's bottle (except mine doesn't have brown sugar) and it's a family favorite. My father-in-law served his mission in the Florida Keys and says this is better than the pies he remembers there. He requests it at family gatherings because my mother-in-law has yet to attempt it, even though I keep insisting it is so easy! I love this recipe!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP