Tomato Basil Soup

Friday, February 20, 2009

I had never been a big fan of tomato soup until I branched out from the Campbell's variety and tried the delicious, creamy versions at restaurants like La Madeleine and Panera Bread. I was completely hooked, and now I'm so glad to have learned that it is SO easy to recreate at home! The version pictured here is made without cream, since I cook for one who doesn't get along well with dairy, but the soup is delicious without the cream and would probably be to die for with it!
Click here for printable recipe. 
Posted by Karey. 
What you'll need:


2 cans (28-ounces each) crushed tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 Tbs. basil
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. garlic (or if you're not lazy like me, fresh garlic, to taste)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup butter

(Note from Lara:  I used 5-6 cloves of pressed fresh garlic.  I cut the butter in half and left in the full amount of cream....delicious!  We served it with breadsticks.  Yum!) 

Mix together tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, sugar, and garlic. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer over low heat until you have to serve it. I've simmered for 10 minutes and it was delicious, and I've simmered for 1 1/2 hours and it was divine. In other words, the longer the better, but you can make it fast and it works just fine.


When you're ready to serve, remove the soup from the heat and stir in the cream (not pictured) and the butter. Stir until the butter has melted.

Then try, just try, not to eat the whole pot! Mmmmmmmmmmm... now THAT'S good!

If you really want to wow your family or your guests, serve with this easy french bread!

Don't miss a single recipe at Recipe Shoebox.  Sign up on the right for free email updates. 

4 comments:

Lara February 21, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

I've never been a big tomato soup fan either, but this looks downright tempting to me. We'll have to give it a try soon.

Mirien February 23, 2009 at 3:27 AM  

Karey, I've been looking for a good tomato basil soup recipe after tasting a great one at a restaurant. Theirs also had orzo in it. No wonder mine hasn't turned out quite as well--I didn't use any butter or cream! Did you skip both, or just the cream? I'm going to try this!

Anna February 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

This is our family's newest FAVORITE! Even Troy loves it! We skip the cream too and it works out every time for us. We garnish with some parmesean cheese though so we get the dairy in there!

CrazyAgeLady January 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM  

I only used half of the tomatoes and 1% milk instead of cream. I didn't have any and didn't feel like dragging the 2 yr old DGD out into the snow. I will definitely make this again and will try the cream.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP