Southwestern Chicken & Black Bean Burritos

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

This is another one of the recipes I found in Rachael Ray's Classic 30 minute Meal recipe book. The hickory smell of the barbecue sauce wafting through the house had my kids flocking to the kitchen to see what smelled so good and I ended up having to shoo them away when they kept trying to steal some pre-dinner nibbles. Even my bean-hating child was overcome by the mildly spicy BBQ taste and came back for seconds. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Click here for printable recipe. 

"Yay--look at me! I'm a really exciting, yummy burrito. Don't you just want to eat me up?
Okay fine. I'm boring to look at, but take a peek inside and you'll be singing my praises soon enough!"


4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 -2 tsp. hot sauce
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15-oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup smoky barbecue sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 heart of romaine lettuce, shredded
6 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
4 large flour tortillas (10-12 inches)
Rub chicken with cumin, chili powder, and hot sauce. Heat a griddle pan to high. cook chicken breasts 4 minutes on each side and remove from heat. **I grilled mine outside instead.**"Hot tender chicken right from the grill--doesn't that alone make you want some?"

While chicken is cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions and garlic in oil until soft. Add beans and barbecue sauce. Chop cooked chicken breasts and drop into barbecued beans. Heat mixture through. Season with salt and pepper."Grilled chicken, black beans, sauteed onion and garlic, hickory smoked bbq sauce--contain your excitement...there's still more!"

Place a tortilla on a plate and pile chicken and beans in center."Don't look yet. I'm not quite done..."

Top with lettuce, scallions, and tomatoes. Wrap, roll, and repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. Serve with chips and salsa. Makes 4 servings."I'm too tasty for this plate. I'm too tasty for this post. I'm tasty!!!!!"

Enjoy!

PS Don't ask me where that sudden burst of silliness came from...

12 comments:

Katy ~ June 9, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

My word does that look maddeningly good. My stomach is GROWLING looking at this.

Coleens Recipes June 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

Holy Cow, this looks amazing!! Hard to imagine all of that spicy goodness going on inside of that first photo ...lol

MaRiN June 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

Yum, sounds delicious! I love your recipes!

kiss my spatula June 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

what a fantastic, healthy burrito!

Jo June 9, 2009 at 10:42 PM  

WOW this looks good and it's on my "to cook list" as of right now....

Lynn June 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM  

This looks mouth-wateringly good! I'm not even sure if that's a word, but it truly does.

teresa June 10, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

This looks fantastic! I bet it's packed with flavor!

Kristen June 10, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

Absolutely delicious - and you got me - your sub commentary by the burrito had me laughing out loud for real :o)

Anonymous,  June 10, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

LOL! that subtitle just got me LMAO!!
The burrito looks freaking delish, but I'm not so fond of Rachel RAy right now. She almost killed me. Well, my foolishness almost killed me, but still, I like to blame others xp

Unknown March 1, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

Just what I was looking for a fabulous Chick and Bean Burrito recipe, you should have seen the look on my hubby's face when I told him that it had BBQ sauce in it!! (it's his favorite condiment!!) Thanks!

Jen June 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

This looks YUMMY. It is going on my menu. :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP