Strawberry Filled Oatmeal Coconut Muffins

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The best part about cold weekend mornings is the insatiable need I feel to bake hot breakfasts for my family.   I found the recipe for these moist, flavorful muffins in an old church cookbook .  They were a fun, unique way to start the day, and I loved that they were wholesome, not-overly-sweet, and easy to make.  And my family's favorite part?  The surprise strawberry filling!   Yum!!!

 Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:

1 cup oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour  (I used 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white flour)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup coconut
Strawberry preserves (or whatever flavor you prefer)

Combine oats in buttermilk and let soak at least 30 minutes.

Sift four, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together. Set aside.  Blend oil, brown sugar, egg, and coconut and add to oatmeal mixture.

Blend well.  Add dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened.  Spoon into greased muffin tins.  Spoon a small teaspoon strawberry preserves in center of each muffin
 (don't mind my ugly looking muffin pan. I've had it since we got married 16 years ago.)

and cover preserves with a little more dough.

Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes.


Makes 12 muffins.  Enjoy!

8 comments:

Julie February 28, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

Looks like a wonderful breakfast to me!

Chef Aimee February 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

Oh I love the strawberry jam oozing out of the middle! What a perfect breakfast.

SnoWhite February 28, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

those look awesome -- and what endless possibilities for jams in the center!

teresa February 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

perfect way to wake up if you ask me!

Kim March 1, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

I've noticed that buttermilk makes wonderful muffins! I love the strawberry filling oozing out. I bet you can't eat just one:D

Katy ~ March 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

Oh my gosh do these ever want to jump out the screen and into my mouth! I am looooving these! Thanks for sharing this delicious breakfast treat!

The Double Dipped Life March 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Mmm... coconut and strawberries? Can't really go wrong here!

Betty March 5, 2010 at 5:22 PM  

Don't know what got me most..oatmeal? coconut? strawberries? But I've been back to drool over these a few times. I need to bake these..

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP