Enchilada Casserole

Thursday, June 24, 2010

This is Lara's sister, Kristina. I don't often post recipes on here because I have two very picky eaters in my house and I tend to make the same tried and true recipes over and over again. So, this past week I was asked to make a casserole for a church function and discovered a wonderful recipe on allrecipes.com for a Mexican casserole and decided to give it a try. I made a few adjustments to the original recipe then made one for church and one for my family. Much to my great surprise both my kids gobbled up the casserole then informed me that they loved it. I was shocked. So, without further ado here is the recipe that received the greatest praise I may have ever received from my children:


Click here for printable recipe.


Enchilada Casserole:

The ingredients:
20 oz. ground turkey
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 small can (2.25-oz.) sliced black olives
1 small can (4-oz.) diced green chili peppers
1 can (14.5-oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (10-oz.) Ro-tel or salsa
1 (12 oz) jar taco sauce (hot or mild)
2 cans (16-oz. each) refried beans
10 flour tortillas
2-3 cups shredded cheese

Directions:
In a large pan, brown the ground turkey over medium heat. Drain any excess fat. Add the onion, garlic and taco seasoning and saute for a couple more minutes. Mix in the olives, green chili peppers, tomatoes, rotel, taco sauce and refried beans. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
In a 9 x 13 casserole dish spread a layer of the meat mixture with cheese on top and cover with a layer of tortillas (at least 2 thick). Repeat until all meat mixture and tortillas are used up. The top layer should be the meat mixture with cheese on top.

Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees in a preheated oven. Cheese should be melted and mixture bubbling. Enjoy!


Alternatives for this recipe:
You can use ground beef rather than ground turkey
You can replace the taco sauce with enchilada sauce
You can use 1 can refried beans and 1 can black beans rather than 2 cans of refried beans
You can spice it up by using hot sauce and adding a few jalapeno peppers


8 comments:

Wende June 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

We LOVE mexican food in our house so I have to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Julie June 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

Isn't it nice when your family likes the least suspected things? I'm sure we'd love it too!

Kim June 24, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

I'm so glad to hear that your family liked this recipe. It definitely looks like an amazing casserole with all that bubbly yummy cheese!

Lara June 25, 2010 at 8:48 AM  

Hey K! We made this last night and loved it! We used 1 can of lightly mashed black beans and 1 can of refried beans. It is definitely staying on our keeper list. Thanks!

FoodontheTable June 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

It's such a great feeling to receive praise for something! This looks yummy.

Debbie June 25, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

This recipe looks so good. A keeper for sure! Thanks for sharin this. I'll be trying it.

Trisha July 3, 2010 at 2:21 AM  

That is so funny, I just fed Enchilada casserole to your parents last night! :-) It wasn't this exact recipe, but I guess great minds think alike. It was fun to have 'guests' over in my new home!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP