Skillet Sausage and Peppers Sandwiches

Tuesday, August 3, 2010


Never mind the poor pictures here, these sandwiches were surprisingly good. They came together pretty quickly and everyone enjoyed them. The kids picked off some of the peppers and onions, but otherwise devoured these. Next time I'm going to try them on some toasted whole grain hamburger buns to make them more reasonably sized and nutritious.


Click here for printable recipe.



The ingredients:
1 Tbs. olive oil
8 sweet Italian sausages (about 1-1/2 lbs)
1 lg onion, halved and sliced thinly
1 lg. red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
1 lg. yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine (or white grape juice)
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
4 hoagie rolls, split (or toasted hamburger buns)

Directions: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Prick sausages with fork in several places, add to skillet, and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from skillet. When cool enough to handle, cut sausages in half diagonally, then into bite-size pieces and set aside in bowl. Add onion and peppers to skillet and cook until peppers are beginning to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add white wine (or white grape juice), water, oregano, and sausages. Cover and cook until sausages are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and cook, uncovered, until sauce has thickened slightly, 1-2 minutes. Pile sausages and peppers on each of the 4 split hoagie rolls (or hamburger buns). The recipe says it serves 4, but it easily served my family of 7. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Kim August 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM  

I've really been into eating italian sausage sandwiches like this. Next time I make one I'm going to try adding in a couple of ingredients from this recipe. I usually add in water, but I'm gonna try the white wine or grape juice and also the tomato paste! Great idea.

Mamapierce August 3, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

Um, how did I JUST find out that you have a blog?!?!?!?! This recipe looks tasty - you are quite the cook!

teresa August 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

oh my gosh, SO yummy! i love the ingredients!

FoodontheTable August 4, 2010 at 3:57 PM  

We're having sausage and pepper sandwiches this week too! These look delicious. We will have to try this recipe next time.

Julie August 4, 2010 at 11:27 PM  

Looks scrumptious...we'd love those at our house!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP