Boston Cream "Pie"

Friday, October 29, 2010

 I never really understood why Boston Cream Pie is actually a cake, but after trying out Family Circle's version of it recently I decided they can call it whatever they darn well please.  This stuff is good and was sort of a combining of Mars and Venus for us.  My husband lived in England for 2 years as a missionary, so he likes anything with custard.  And, me?   I'm all about the chocolate.  Boston Cream Pie was the perfect union of both worlds.  John Gray would be so happy.   :) 

 

Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:


SPONGE CAKE:
1-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla

CUSTARD FILLING:
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
2 ounces (squares) unsweetened chocolate
1 Tbs. corn syrup
2 Tbs. water
1 cup powdered sugar

FOR CAKE:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line bottom of two 8-inch round cake pans with waxed paper.  Sift flour, baking powder, and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper.  Beat egg whites in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.  Beat in 1/2 cup sugar 1-2 minutes or until stiff peaks form. 

Beat egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl until thickened and light in color.  Beat in water and vanilla.  Fold in egg whites.   Fold in flour mixture slowly.  Scrape into pans.


Bake in heated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.  Cool pans on wire racks 20 minutes.  Turn cakes out onto racks to cool completely.  Peel off waxed paper. 

FOR FILLING:  Mix sugar, flour, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan.  Stir in 3/4 cup milk.  Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture boils; cook 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Whisk together remaining milk and egg.  Whisk mixture into saucepan.  Return to heat.  Cook, stirring, 1 minute.  Stir in vanilla.  Cover with plastic wrap, pressing on surface to prevent a film.  Refrigerate 3 hours.



FOR CHOCOLATE GLAZE:  Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate  in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.  Stir in corn syrup and water until blended.  Stir in powdered sugar until smooth.  Remove from heat.  Makes 1 cup. 

TO ASSEMBLE:  Invert a cake layer onto a serving plate.  Stir cooled filling; spread over layer.

 Invert second cake layer on top.  Spoon chocolate glaze on top of cake; spread until level, allowing some of the glaze to flow over edge. 


Refrigerate 1 hour.  Serve with dollops of sweetened whipped cream. 

ENJOY!!

3 comments:

Julie October 29, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

I love Boston Cream Pie...yours looks so wonderful :)

Debbie October 29, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

I saw this in Family Circle too and now that I've seen yours I definitely want to try it!

Lisa October 30, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

I've never had a Boston Cream Pie before, but this really looks good. By the way, be sure to check back on my blog next Monday when I'll be holding a CSN giveaway.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP