Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Peanut Noodles

Thursday, April 14, 2011

The sun is out, the flower buds are poking their heads out,  and I've got spring fever in a bad way!  I have all these house projects calling out for my attention and all I want to do is go outside and soak up the sunshine and vitamin d that my body is craving. So what's a girl to do?   More and more the answer to that question for me is to pull out the crockpot, throw in a low-maintenance dinner, then run a gazillion miles an hour to cross things off my list, only to return a few hours later to an already made dinner.  It's awesome!   I found this  fabulous slow cooker recipe  over at 365 Days of Crockpot (a treasure trove of non-mushy crockpot recipes all rated with 1-5 stars).  We love Thai food at our house and Karen had given this one a full 5 stars, so we figured it would be a perfect dish to try on a crazy day (um, I guess with five kids, you could call every day a crazy day around here, but that's beside the point).    It was easy to throw together and totally fresh tasting with the lime/cilantro flavor combination. Kids and hubby alike enjoyed this one topped with honey roasted peanuts!  Enjoy!  
Click here for printable recipe. 


The ingredients:

1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 red bell pepper, cut into short, thin strips
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you like things)
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
3/4 cup chopped peanuts or cashews (we really liked it with honey roasted peanuts)
3/4 cup chopped cilantro
Cooked spaghetti noodles or rice

Directions: 
Place chicken, bell pepper, broth, soy sauce, garlic, and red pepper flakes in slow cooker. 

Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours.  Mix cornstarch with lime juice in small bowl until smooth. 

Turn slow cooker on HIGH.  Stir in peanut butter and cornstarch mixture. 

Cover and cook 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened and chicken is no longer pink.  Stir well. 

Serve over  spaghetti noodles or rice.  Sprinkle with nuts and cilantro.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Rebekah April 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM  

I am EVER on a quest to find Thai food my boys will enjoy too - I admit the previous recipes I've tried have not gone over all that well - but this looks like a great TNT one for us to try again with! :)

Cassie April 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM  

I usually go for slow cooker dishes in the winter, because the classics are so warm and comforting (chicken and noodles, pot roast)... I never even thought to use it in the summer when you're too busy to cook! Great idea :)

teresa April 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM  

i'm SO hungry right now and nothing has ever looked better then that dish of noodles. i can't wait to try this, i love your recipes!

Joseph April 15, 2011 at 3:30 AM  

I just love Thai food. Thai dishes are so delicious that I cant control my self waiting.
-slow cooker

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP