BBQ Chicken Pasta Skillet

Monday, July 11, 2011

I've always loved one-skillet meals, but now that our dishwasher has broken and the warranty period is expired, I especially love only having to mess up one pan for dinner.  This dish was quick, easy and full of flavor.  We loved it with the fresh cilantro and white sharp cheddar cheese over the top, but parsley or green onions would be great as well. 
Source:  Tried and True Yummy Recipes and Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Click here for printable recipe.

The ingredients:
(not pictured:  penne pasta)

1 Tbs. olive oil
2 chicken breasts cut into bite-size chunks
1 red onion, diced
3 cups water
2-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1 box (12-13-ounces) penne pasta
3/4 cup favorite BBQ sauce
1/3 cup low-fat sour cream 
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 bunch cilantro or green onions, chopped

Directions:  In a large skillet or pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot add the chicken  and cook until no longer pink. Add the onions and cook till tender. Remove the chicken and onions to a plate. In the same skillet add the water, broth, pasta, and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until the liquid is almost absorbed, the pasta is tender and the mixture is thick and syrupy. Stir in the bbq sauce,and sour cream. Once mixed, add in the chicken  and onion mixture, and 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella and 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese. Stir to combine and cook until everything is heated through. Top with remaining sharp cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro or green onions.  Enjoy! 

Sign up for free email updates and you won't miss a single recipe at the Recipe Shoebox.


**********

4 comments:

Romney Family July 11, 2011 at 2:05 PM  

wasn't that so yummy!! I love the one pot meals as well!! I love what the cilantro and extra cheese on top!!

Kim July 11, 2011 at 5:39 PM  

I love a good one-pot meal too, especially when it comes to clean up time. This looks creamy and delicious!

Julie July 11, 2011 at 8:40 PM  

Looks delish...and thanks because our dishwasher is broken too!

Mandy July 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM  

I am adding this to my list! Thanks Lara! We love barbecue flavor and we love pasta dishes so I know we'll love this one!

P.s. - I mentioned you in today's post for avocado-hummus dip. I can't wait to try your chocolate flourless cake recipe soon! :)

Thanks for sharing good stuff,
Mandy

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP