Apple Smile Snacks

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Click here to see a menu of all of our Halloween recipes in one place and be sure to stop by Recipe Shoebox every day this week for more fun Halloweeny recipes! 

**************

I've always loved the apple and peanut butter flavor combination, so it wasn't much of a surprise that I actually enjoyed eating this fun Halloweeny snack as much as the kids.  And with the fruit and protein together, it's one I didn't have to feel too guilty about feeding to my kids either (as long as I kept the marshmallow bag out of sight). ;)
 

 In addition to making a fun, "creepy" treat for Halloween, I've also served these with a dental health/ body theme at preschool.  The kids absolutely loved making these simple snacks themselves, but since they are a tad messy when the kids spread their own peanut butter or frosting,  I do recommend having an ample supply of wipes nearby.   Enjoy!!!!
Click here for printable recipe.


The ingredients
:


Red apples, sliced into 1/2-inch slices (about 14-16 slices per apple)
Peanut butter or vanilla frosting (about 1-teaspoon per "smile")
Mini marshmallows (4-5 per "smile")

Directions:  With a paper towel, gently wipe any excess moisture from the side of the apple slices.  Spread about 1/2-teaspoon of peanut butter or frosting on two apple slices.  Place marshmallows along one of the  apple slices.  Sandwich the two apple slices together, with the marshmallows in the middle.  Shift it as necessary so it looks as smile-like as possible.  Serve immediately. 


NOTE:  If making these treats in advance, I recommend dipping the apple slices briefly into a citrus juice or lightly salted water in order to prevent browning.   Make sure you dry the apples thoroughly before spreading the peanut butter. 


Enjoy!  




1 comments:

Diana October 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM  

Congratulations for the great ideas! So interesting and so fun!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP