Apple Toffee Bars

Monday, September 24, 2012

School is in full swing, the weather is cooling down, and the leaves are starting to fall.  Autumn is here and I couldn't be happier about the changes that its arrival brings to our weekly menu.  Soups start sneaking back into our rotation and the aroma of fall baking fills the  air again.   And with that fall baking comes the reintroduction of one of my favorite seasonal ingredients to the menu.   APPLES!!

For as much as  I love crisp juicy apples all by themselves, I have to admit that I have a big soft spot (right on my belly) for apple goodies too, like these Apple Toffee Bars!  I had never tried apples and toffee togetherr before  but I tell you it's a winning match!!   I brought these to a party last fall and got asked for the recipe several times and took home an empty plate!


Stay tuned to Recipe Shoebox all week for more of our favorite  apple recipes!
 

Recipe adapted from a long lost Costco magazine.
Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Lara. 

The ingredients:
CRUST:



2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, cut into pieces

FILLING:


1 can (14-ounce) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 large egg
1 cup peeled, chopped tart apple (I used a Granny Smith)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup toffee bits (in the baking aisle, next to chocolate chips)

GLAZE:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 Tbs. strong brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature (I'm not a coffee drinker, so I substituted some prepared hot chocolate)



Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

FOR THE CRUST:
  Combine flour and sugar in a medium bowl.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (don't overdo it). 



NOTE:  The mixture will be very floury.  This is not a problem.   Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13-inch baking pan.  Bake for 15 minutes (just before it's browned). 

FOR THE FILLING:  In a large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and egg and blend well.  Stir in remaining ingredients (chopped apple, pecans, and toffee bits).  Pour over baked crust. 

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is set and the top is golden brown.  Let cool for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen.  Cool for at least one hour before adding the glaze. 

FOR THE GLAZE:   Combine the glaze ingredients, adding enough coffee/hot chocolate to make a good drizzling consistency.  Drizzle over bars and allow to set for 10 minutes. 

Cut into bars and store in a loosely covered container. I think they're even better the second day.   Makes 24 bars.
Enjoy!


Don't miss a single recipe.  Sign up on the right for free email updates! 

2 comments:

K September 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM  

These look and sound so amazingly delicious. Can't wait to try them.

SnoWhite September 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM  

With a hidden ingredient like coffee - these have to be good :)

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP