Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Whole wheat tortillas stuffed with brown rice, beans, and grilled chicken....it's flavorful meals like this that make healthy eating an easier proposition.  My hubby and I loved the great fresh flavor and thought they reminded us a little of a burrito from Chipotle (except a lot more reasonably portioned).   My kids, even those that normally turn their noses up at Mexican food, enjoyed them and went back for seconds.  We've made them a few times already and have now made them a part of our regular dinner rotation. 

Recipe Source:  Britt's Apron
Click here for printable recipe. 

Post by Lara.

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked rice, warm or at room temperature (I used brown rice)
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (I used freshly grilled chicken)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 green onion, finely sliced
1/2 red or green pepper, diced (I preferred leaving these out)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Sour cream (reduced fat works great)
2 cups shredded cheese (I used a combination of Monterey jack and sharp cheddar)
6 burrito-sized flour tortillas

Directions: 
Mix rice together with chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. Add remaining ingredients except for cheese and sour cream.
Spread a thin layer of sour cream over each tortilla, then sprinkle with  cheese, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges. 

Arrange chicken and rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll stuffed tortillas, closing all sides. Spray the tortillas all over with butter or olive oil cooking spray.


Heat a large non-stick skillet (or griddle) over medium heat for 1 minute. Arrange 2 wraps, seam-side down, in pan and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining wraps. Makes 6-8 wraps.  Serve immediately.



Enjoy!


*********************

Don't miss a single recipe.  Sign up on the right for free email updates or visit our Facebook page.   

3 comments:

Kim September 4, 2012 at 7:57 AM  

These look so good! Pinning for sure :)

teresa September 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM  

oooh, can't wait to try these!

Mirien September 12, 2012 at 12:15 AM  

Made these for dinner tonight and they were loved by all. I wish that wasn't such a rare occurrence. I'll definitely come back to this recipe again!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP