Homemade Granola Bites

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

 In our family's ongoing efforts to eat fewer processed foods, I've been trying to make more of our food from scratch and this week at Recipe Shoebox is dedicated to spotlighting some from-scratch food for the lunch box!   Although I was initially worried that my kids would be resistant to our new healthier lunches this year, but in fact my kids are not only loving the variety, but also loving that they are more participatory than ever in what they're eating.  I handed this recipe over to my eleven-year-old daughter who whipped up a big double-batch of these for the first week of school.  I loved that these were bite-size, wholesome,  and not too sweet (especially if you reduce the brown sugar like I did).    Enjoy!

 recipe source:  Mommy's Kitchen
Click here for printable recipe. 

Posted by Lara. 

The ingredients:

2- 1/2 cups quick or old fashioned oats
1/2 cup rice krispies or puffed brown rice cereal ( I used brown rice krispies from Whole Foods)
2  Tbs. flax seed
1 Tbs. wheat germ
1/2  cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar (I reduced this to 1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together, except chocolate chips. Start with a spoon and then mix by hand until everything is blended well. 


If your mixture seems dry after mixing add a little more coconut oil or honey. Add a little at a time until the mixture starts to come together. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.

Using your hands or the back of a spoon, press the mixture firmly into a mini muffin pan that has been sprayed with non stick baking spray.


Bake at 350 degrees for 12-13 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to sit in pan for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from pan with mini off set metal spatula and enjoy. 

Store in airtight container.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Kim September 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM  

Love the whole idea of doing a lunchbox series. I'm pinning all of your ideas.

I just made those crescent wrapped pepperoni and cheese pockets that are all over pinterest for my daughter today. I also did the corn dog muffins and they were a hit. Neither of those are really homemade, but they are a little better than some other options. I think I'm gonna try to make those pizza crusts this weekend and package them up.

teresa September 12, 2012 at 6:43 PM  

i am SO making these. i've been racking my brain for healthy lunch options since i pack one everyday and i don't want to send them off with junk. these look great!

Zoe September 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM  

Hi Lara,

Totally agree with you that these granola bites are great lunch box fillers.

Like you, I have been cooking and baking from scratch as much as possible. Now following you at Pinterest and blogger for all the delicious foods that you have cooked and baked :D

Zoe

Cindy September 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM  

I do love granola--it's just so messy to eat on the go. These look perfect!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP