Candy Cane Kiss Cookies

Friday, December 7, 2012

Out of all the fancy desserts in the world, cookies still rank up there as one of my favorite all-time treats.  Whenever I try to cut back on sweets in my diet, it's always the cookies that give me the most temptation and these festive looking cookies with the beloved chocolate-peppermint flavor combination are as tempting as any I've ever tasted.   The shortening/butter in the dough make for a soft, but chewy cookie that holds its shape well.  These will definitely be making an appearance on our goodie plates this year...that is if they make it to our goodie plates.  :)  

Recipe Source:  Our Best Bites
Click here for printable recipe.

Posted by Lara.

The ingredients:

1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening (like Crisco)
1/2 cup real butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. peppermint extract (optional)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2-1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 bag (12-ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 bag (10-ounces) Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses

Directions:
In a medium bowl, cream together shortening, softened butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs and vanilla.  Meanwhile in a separate bowl, combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt, flour, and cocoa powder.   Add to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until combined.  MIx in the chocolate chips. 

Refrigerate dough for 30-60 minutes, then drop by tablespoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  ( I used my silicone non-stick baking mat)

Bake at 350 degrees until just set, but centers are still soft, about 8 minutes.  Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack and top each cookie with an unwrapped Candy Cane Kiss.  Allow to cool completely, long enough for the Kiss to solidify again. 

Makes 48 cookies.

Enjoy! 

If you like the chocolate-peppermint combo as much as we do, be sure to  check out some of our other goodies with those flavors as well ! --candy cane cheesecake, peppermint patty brownies, make-your-own peppermint patties, chocolate-peppermint cake roll, mint chocolate chip cheesecake, homemade Andes Mints, and brownie crackles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP