Pepparkakor (Traditional Swedish Spice Cookies)

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Recently I was asked to help with a project to bake and mail cookies to people.  I needed to find a crispy cookie that could endure the mailing time and yet still be good.  I don't generally like crunchy cookies, so I asked my husband if he had any ideas.  He instantly said, "Pepparkakor cookies", which are a traditional Swedish Christmas cookie.  (He used to live in Sweden, which is why he thought of it).  After searching the internet for a recipe, I tried them out.  They taste just like those cookies you buy at IKEA.  My husband was very pleased that he could have a little taste of Sweden.  I thought I'd post this for you all because Dec 13th is Saint Lucia day in Sweden.  
Click here for printable recipe.


Post by: Jen
Recipe source: PBS food

Ingredients:
 1 stick butter (1/2 c), softened
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp maple syrup (or Molasses, or dark Corn Syrup, or Golden Syrup)
1 3/4-2 c flour 
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.  Add the egg, vanilla, and syrup. (hint, spray the measuring spoon before measuring the syrup.  It will come out easier)
 Add the dry ingredients.  Mix well into a dough.
 Cover dough with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  After dough is chilled, then roll it out very thin to 1/8 inch on a lightly floured surface.  These cookies are traditionally cut into stars, pigs, or the cute Swedish horses.  (I know you can find the these cookie cutters at IKEA).  But you can cut them into whatever shape you want!

Bake in 350 degree oven for 7 minutes.  For a more crispy cookie, let it cool for 5 minutes still on the baking sheet.  The hot baking sheet will continue to cook it a little more.  if you don't want it too crispy, then remove the hot cookies to a cooling rack.

 These cookies are traditionally very thin and crisp.  They are great for mailing to loved ones.


2 comments:

Anonymous,  December 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM  

I make these every year for Christmas and one thing that my recipe has in it that yours doesn't is Cardamom. It makes the cookies!

Anonymous,  December 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM  

How much cardamon?!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP