Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A couple of weeks ago I bought some pumpkins from a garden center.  One of the pumpkins was a pie pumpkin, which is the kind of pumpkin that you can puree and eat.  I didn't want to just eat the pumpkin by itself, so I asked Lara for a pumpkin recipe I could try.  This is the recipe she gave me.

They were delicious!  I couldn't get enough of them and thought they would make for a perfect Christmas morning breakfast! They're a little dense, but moist and delicious...especially fresh and hot out of the pan!  My roommates and I couldn't stop eating them. 

Recipe adapted from The Virtual Goody Plate 
Click here for printable recipe.


Posted by AnnaLisa


 The ingredients:


 10 T unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
(next time I will double both the nutmeg and allspice and add a teaspoon of cinnamon)
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cups pure pumpkin puree (from a 15 oz. can)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs

Sugar Coating:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour 12 standard muffin cups.

Make batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and allspice. In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk and pumpkin puree.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl as needed. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions pumpkin mixture and beat to combine.
Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup and bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Let muffins cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Working with one at a time, remove muffins from pan, brush all over with melted butter, then toss to coat in sugar mixture. Let muffins cool completely on a wire rack. (Store in airtight container up to 1 day.)

  Makes about 15 muffins.


Enjoy!


Sign up on the right for free email updates or follow along with our Facebook page!

4 comments:

Julie December 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM  

Do you think I can add chocolate chips to them? i love pumpkin and chocolate chips.

Lynda December 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM  

Yum, I may make these for Christmas eve-I love all things pumpkin!

R,  December 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM  

These look really yummy. Will make them for breakfast soon.

Lara December 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM  

Julie,
I think mini-chocolate chips would be excellent in these muffins! You'll have to let me know when you try them!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP