Creamy Mexican Chowder

Monday, January 21, 2013

I had all these grand intentions about the creative cooking I was going to be doing this new year, but life seems to have gotten the better of me and I am lucky to be throwing together a semi decent dinner at all most nights, yet alone typing it up into a blogpost!   Finally I decided that the creativity may have to wait for a new day and I may as well post a few new recipes I discovered this fall, but hadn't gotten around to blogging about yet. I've made this soup several times now--for my family and for a church function--and it's already quite well-loved by family and friends.    It's creamy and full of great Mexican flavor and perfect for a cold winter's night.  We serve it up in our homemade breadbowls  to make it extra special!  Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from 71 Toes
Click here for printable recipe

Posted by Lara

Makes 4-5 servings.

The ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 can (16-oz.) chicken broth
1 pkg. (8-oz.) cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 lbs. chicken, cooked and shredded (I threw a few frozen breasts into the crockpot for a few hours)
1-1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 cup chunky salsa
1 can (16-oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (16-oz) black beans, drained
1/2 cup cream (or milk)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, peeled and chopped

Directions:  Sauté onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil until softened.  

Add broth, cream cheese, chicken, chili powder, cumin, salsa, corn, beans and cream and  bring it all to a boil. 

Simmer for 10-15 minutes.    Add the cilantro and chopped avocado and simmer for an additional 2 minutes.

Serve piping hot in a bread bowl. Makes 4-5 servings.



Enjoy!

2 comments:

teresa January 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM  

with as cold as it's been, i could really use a recipe like this right now, YUM!

R,  February 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM  

I made this for supper last night and everyone loved it. It's a hit at my house.

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP