Baked Spaghetti with A-1 Sauce

Monday, February 11, 2013

When my son was in the hospital for several months last year, we had wonderful friends who brought our family meals 3 or 4 times a week.  It was a HUGE blessing to us and allowed us to focus on taking care of our family, instead of stressing about what was for dinner each night.  Along the course of those 118 days and nights that he was in the hospital, we had a lot of amazing food brought to us.  We sincerely liked everything that was brought to us, but there were a few of the meals which my family raved about so much that I decided I better get the recipe for so I could make it again later.  This meal brought over by my friend Melissa was one of those meals.   I normally shun cooking anything that calls for condensed soups, but my family was so insistent (my husband in particular) that I make this again, that I set aside my prejudices and took a special trip to the store for the cream of mushroom soup.    My family cheered when they realized that this Melissa-invented recipe made not one pan, but TWO pans of the spaghetti.  We could freeze one for another day or share the love and bring one to another family just as Melissa had shared with us.  

Check out the printable tag at the end of the post, that you can tape onto the spaghetti before freezing or before bringing to a friend! 

Click here for printable recipe.

Posted by Lara.


The ingredients:
V-8 juice not pictured

2 onions, chopped
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 lbs. ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 packet dry beefy onion soup mix (Lipton's)
1/2 cup A-1 steak sauce
1 box (16-ounces) spaghetti noodles
1 large can (28-ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 can (14.5-ounces) stewed or diced tomatoes
2 cans (10.5-ounces each) cream of mushroom soup
2 cups of V-8 juice
1 can (2.25-ounces) sliced olives, drained
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or mozzarella)
1 Tbs. dried parsley

Directions:
In a large soup pot, saute the chopped onions in oil for 3-4 minutes.  Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper and cook until browned. 


In another large pot, cook the spaghetti noodles as directed on package. 

Drain meat, return to pot and add dry beefy onion soup mix and A-1 steak sauce.   Stir and simmer for about 3 minutes.  Add crushed tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, V-8 juice and cream of mushroom soup. 

Stir on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, or until well blended.  Add  sliced olives.  At this point, the noodles should be finished cooking.  Drain noodles and combine with sauce mixture. 

When everything is combined, divide between TWO 9x13-inch pans (7-8 cups  per pan) and top with 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese and 1/2 Tbs. dried parsley each casserole.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake an additional 10-minutes, or until top is browned slightly. 

  Serve hot with breadsticks and a tossed green salad

FREEZER DIRECTIONS:  Wrap the 9x13-inch  pan of unbaked spaghetti with foil.   Freeze for up to 2-months.   To use, place directly into the oven from the freezer and bake at 350 degrees for about 2 hours. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10-minutes, or until top is browned slightly.

Enjoy! 

***********************

Just for fun, I've made this printable tag you can attach to your 2nd pan of baked spaghetti.  Whether you give it to a friend or put it in your freezer, you've got a cute tag with all the directions you need!   Simply right click on the image then copy and paste into a word processing program and adjust to the size you need before printing.  :) 





***************************

1 comments:

Julie February 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM  

I love A 1 sauce so much, anything that incorporates it into a recipe gets my vote!

Post a Comment

We love comments almost as much as we love good food...

About This Blog

My name is Lara and while I'm definitely not a gourmet cook, I do love preparing tasty, healthy meals for my family. Finding new recipes to try and sharing the ones we've already fallen in love with is a passion I've had since college and the reason why I've started this blog! With five kids, I'm usually in a hurry, so you'll find most of these recipes kid friendly and simple to make.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP